The Pandiyan Roadways Corporation Ltd. ( presently Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation ( Madurai) Ltd, Madurai Region), came into existence from 17.01.1972 on account of nationalization of buses of the private operators as per the 1971 Act. The fleet of 346 buses along with the Depots and workmen were taken from M/s Southern Roadways Private Ltd, Madurai.
This corporation was formed under Companies Act to secure effective decentralization and better management. On 01.01.1974, 106 buses operated in Thirunelveli area was transferred and Kattabomman Transport Corporation ( presently TNSTC ( Madurai) Ltd, Thirunelveli Region ) came in to existence with Nagarcoil as its Head Quarters. Further 62 buses were transferred to M/s Cholan Roadways Corporation Ltd. (presently TNSTC ( Kumbakonam) Ltd, Kumbakonam Region) which came in to existence with Kumbakonam as its Head Quarters with effect from 01.07.74. After these transfers, the area of this corporation covered 3 revenue districts of unbifurcated Madurai, Ramanathapuram and Pudukottai districts.
When the fleet strength of this Corporation was 1249, this was bifurcated on 01.04.1983 and 352 buses were handed over to M/s Maruthu Pandiyar Transport Corporation Ltd, (presently TNSTC ( Kumbakonam) Ltd, Karaikudi Region), which started its operation in the eastern portion of Madurai-Aruppukottai Road in the unbifurcated Ramanathapuram District and Pudukotai District.
Again when the fleet was 1097 buses,this corporation was bifurcated and 446 buses were handed over to M/s Rani Mangammal Transport Corporation Ltd. (presently TNSTC ( Madurai) Ltd,Dindugal Region ) on 01.04.1986 which started its operation with Dindugal as Head Quarters with the area of operation covering the part of Madurai District and west of the Dindugal-Periyakulam-Kumuli Road and entire Dindigal District.
The Government with a view to streamline the operations ordered for the transfer of Aruppukottai branch, which was taken over on 01.04.91 along with the buses from M/s Maruthu Pandiyar Transport Corporation Ltd. (presently TNSTC (Kumbakonam) Ltd, Karaikudi Region) and with this transfer, the entire Virudhunagar District came in to the operational jurisdiction of this Corporation.
Again when the fleet was 1249, the Corporation was bifurcated as per G.O MS No.100 dated 29.04.1997 and the new Corporation commenced its operation in the name of M/s Veeran Sundaralingam Transport Corporation Ltd. (presently TNSTC ( Madurai) Ltd, Virudhunagar Region), having its Head Quarters at Virudhunagar with 352 buses with effect from 01.05.97.
Subsequently the name of Pandiyan Roadways Corporation Ltd. was changed to Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation (Madurai Dvi I) LTD.